8.17.2010

U-Go Girl

This illustration began as a convention sketch, which I did for a fella at Baltimore ComiCon last year. He posted it to Comic Art Fans, I futzed with it a bit (and added a foot), and then printed it out in cyan on a big sheet of 2-ply bristol. Great inking practice!

U-Go Girl was a pretty awesome character, from Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's run on X-Force. She didn't last long, only a half-dozen or so issues, before dying in the line of duty on some mission in space. The book really didn't last too long, either, which I think is a good thing...it was a blast of gonzo, unpredictable fun every month for a couple years, before going away entirely and leaving you with fond memories (as opposed to apathetic regret that it wore out its welcome). More comics oughta follow the same path; stories are better when they don't need to go on forever.

5 comments:

Kevin Freeman said...

That makes me happy. I loved X-Statix when it was around.

Mark said...

Heavy blacks with blue highlights to make it "shine" seems appropriate for an Allred creation...

Robert Ullman said...

Yeah, I pretty much followed the Allred blueprint to the letter with this one. I'm not always a fan of his writing, but I can't help being impressed when he does what he does art-wise!

Richard said...

Honestly, what a perfect combination of character and artist! It's as if she was created for you to draw one day. Now maybe if Milligan could be persuaded to do a flashback mini-series...

Shano said...

Loved X-Statix. Loved U-Go-Girl. Love this drawing.