11.15.2006

Schulz Exhibit - Winston-Salem, NC

Mrs. Chappy and I trekked down to her parents house in North Carolina last weekend, to visit and hang out, but mostly to check out the "Charles M. Schulz: His World in Art and Objects" exhibit at the Hanes Gallery at Wake Forest University. The exhibit ran from October 7 through today, November 15, which makes the timing of this blog entry almost comically useless. It took us over a month to get there to check it out, so if you missed it, take solace in the fact that I took some pictures, which I'll share wit'cha now!

A nice establishing shot, from the mezzanine level. It was a pretty sizable exhibit, mostly from one guy's collection, and they framed it really tastefully, with huge panels from strips attached to the walls. They also had a couple TV's showing Peanuts animated features and the epoisode of A&E's Biography which focused on Schulz, and a bookshelf full of all manner of Schulz collections.


One of the most amazing things about seeing the original art was realizing how freakin' BIG they are! The dailies were probably 14" x 6" or so.


Mrs. Chappy, standing alongside a couple of the sunday strips. Like I said, they're huge! 24" by 18", or something like that!


A few of my favorite strips and panels. It's hard to hold the camera steady on the flashless "museum" setting, so forgive the blurriness!




I'm dying to read an issue of Linus.


A few other items of Schulz epherma.


I'm usually not a big fan of Tom Everhart's Peanuts-themed paintings, but the size of this thing is undeniaby impressive.


It was a great exhibit, and a real thrill to see so many strips all in the same place, all at once. And these days, with the Fantagraphics "Complete Peanuts" collections coming out twice a year, I thankfully never have to go more than a few months before being reminded why it's my favorite strip ever! Thanks, Sparky!

5 comments:

Will Pfeifer said...

Thanks for posting those pics, Rob. I saw some Schulz originals when the "Masters of Comic Art" show was in Milwaukee, and you're right -- they're amazingly huge.

Plus, I'd sell my own liver to buy that "What a beautiful gory layout" strip. I've always loved that one!

Robert Ullman said...

I think that Linus comic was a foriegn edition of some kind...it was grouped with a bunch of other European books.

Glad you enjoyed the pics, fellas!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. This was great Robert!

Anonymous said...

I recall seeing that panel with the comic book rack before. I believe Sparky was making a comment on the state of that media at the time. the display is labeled "for the kiddies" but the books has titles such as "kill" & "murder"
LOL

Marc-Andre said...

Hello, arriving a bit late.
LINUS only has some pages of Peanuts. Other strips featured in this monthly anthology were B.C., Wizard of Id, and many many more, plus, of course, some italian strips...
Still want a copy ? I can send you one.